What is folic acid? What is its importance and benefits to human health? Learn the most important information about folic acid in the following article.
What is folic acid and does it have any benefits? Where is it and why do pregnant women specifically recommend it? Find out all these answers now.
it is a type of vitamin B and is found naturally in some types of foods, such as dried beans, peas, oranges, and spinach.
Folic acid benefits
There are several benefits that help human health, which are:
1- Cell and DNA health
Folic acid helps the body maintain cells and produce new ones. it also maintains DNA in the human body, which in turn protects against the risk of cancer.
2- Treatment of anemia
Treatment of anemia caused by a deficiency of folic acid, ie, taking it works to provide the body with higher levels of this acid and therefore treatment of anemia associated with it.
3 – for pregnancy health
Folic acid (before and during pregnancy) helps to reduce the chances of miscarriage and fetal abnormalities, especially the condition called spina bifida, which is incomplete in the lumbar spine.
4. Reduce the risk of cancer
also helps protect DNA, which contributes to a lower risk of cancer, especially colorectal cancer.
5. Protect the heart and brain
in helps protect against heart attack, various heart conditions, and stroke.
6. Other benefits
folic acid also have other different benefits, such as:
- Protection from memory loss and Alzheimer’s.
- Reduced risk of age-related hearing loss.
- Avoid generation-related macular degeneration, the most common cause of severe vision loss in those older than 50 years.
- Protect your bones from breakage and fragility as you age.
- Help treat sleep problems, depression, nerve damage, and muscle pain.
Effectiveness of folic acid
As you have seen, it has many different benefits that benefit the body, so we offer you the effectiveness of this acid according to the following:
1- For kidney problems
People with kidney problems have high levels of homocysteine, an amino acid produced as part of metabolism and metabolism.
This, in turn, raises the risk of heart disease and stroke. However, folic acid intake can help lower homocysteine levels.
2. Reduce the negative effects associated with taking Methotrexate
It is an anti-tumor drug, for the treatment of rheumatoid arthritis, psoriasis and various types of cancerous tumors.
Various scientific studies have revealed that taking folic acid helps to reduce the side effects associated with this drug, such as nausea and vomiting.
3 – Congenital defects
As mentioned earlier, women are advised to take folic acid supplements before and during pregnancy, as this reduces the risk of fetal birth defects.
4. Other potential folic acid benefits
it is also effective in the following cases:
- Protection from age-related macular degeneration: Studies and scientific research found that taking folic acid with vitamins B6 and B12 contributes to reducing the risk of developing macular degeneration.
- Treatment of depression: In previous scientific studies, researchers found a relationship between taking folic acid and antidepressants and improving depression symptoms in patients.
- High blood pressure: Researchers suggested in a scientific study that taking folic acid daily for at least 6 weeks contributes to reducing high blood pressure.
- Gum problems: Applying folic acid to the gums may help protect against various problems caused by Phenytoin.
Folic acid intake guidelines
Here are some important tips to know when taking folic acid:
- Try to avoid folic acid supplements if you are allergic to it.
- Before taking folic acid, tell your doctor if you have kidney problems.
- Take folic acid supplements exactly as your doctor has prescribed for you.
- Don’t forget to drink a glass of water when you take it.
- If you forget to take a dose of folic acid, take it as soon as you remember. If your second dose is due, you may not take the missed dose.